Although there’s an opinion that blogging is dying, it’s really hard to agree. There are more and more successful bloggers each day who manage to get a decent income out of blogging. So let’s talk about blog monetization methods: long-term ideas to grow your income with blogging!
If you’re planning to start a self-hosted blog but get easily scared of technical terms and have no real idea on how to get the ball rolling, make sure to grab a free copy of “Blog Creation Simplified“.
This post includes affiliate links. They cost nothing to you but could provide me the very necessary caffeine boost for my next articles. Thank you!
Before getting started…
First of all, my suggestion is to strongly consider starting a self-hosted blog if you haven’t done that already. If you have a serious intention to start earning income with blogging – a self-hosted website is a must!
First of all, you have to understand that getting into blogging just because of the money is nonsense.
It’s not an easy and fast option to get an additional $100 per week. Neither it’s an easy and fast option to build a business.
Most of the successful bloggers are really passionate about blogging. They are writing to share their knowledge, to connect with their audience, to learn more themselves and genuinely help others. If that’s not what drives your passion in the first place, it will be hard to get started and even harder to keep going!
Here are some of the reasons why being passionate about blogging is really crucial:
- You’ll spend A LOT of your time growing your blog
- None of the methods are 100% foolproof. You might have to try, fail and do it all over again until you find what’s the best suit for you and your readers.
- You will have to learn A LOT.
- Building genuine connections is just part of the deal.
- You’ll have to provide tons of content and generate many great ideas all-the-time.
Oh, and before we’re starting, I want to say that you don’t have to have hundreds of blog readers daily to successfully monetize your blog! It’s absolutely enough with tens of readers, as long as you have specifically targeted audience and you know what you’re going for.
If you’re ready to take that next step and build your passive income streams, make sure to check out Passive Income Simplified.
Blog monetization methods
Let me remind you that none of these methods are easy, quick or any kind of a miracle. None of these is “get $50 today!!” kind of a deal.
Method #1 might qualify as the fastest one but the rest will take your time, effort and a legit long-term plan!
METHOD #1 Affiliate programs
Pro tip: Choose high-quality affiliate programs.
Being an affiliate means that you’re sharing an affiliate link to the product you love and/or use yourself so that others can check it out and maybe purchase. Whenever the purchase happens, you get the stated commission from the sale. The actual money you can get from being an affiliate varies a lot, program by program, product by product.
What to keep in mind when searching for the best affiliate programs?
- Payout commission. My suggestion is to go for at least 10%+, depending on what’s the price for the product. For example, many hosting services offer tens of dollars per signup. Research your field and spot the price. Very often it’s more than worth the effort and 7 sales can make your monthly income!
- Your experience with the product. It’s easier and better to advertise the product that you’re using yourself. Therefore, always keep in mind your own experience with the service/program/product you’re going to offer for others.
- Other reviews. If there are tons of bad reviews out there for something you’re trying to sell, guess what, no one will purchase it! So make sure that whatever you’ve chosen, has a good reputation!
- Affiliate program’s sustainability. Is the product of your choice well-known? Will people trust it? Will they have heard of it? Make sure that you’re investing your time and effort in a sustainable product!
How to start monetizing blog with affiliate programs?
- Find programs you want to join and that your audience will be interested in.
- Sign up for each program. The system for each product may be different but actions are the same: find info about their affiliate program on their website and follow their mentioned steps! As the final of the registration, you’ll get a shareable link.
- Create a content plan where you include several blog posts in which you can add this link. For example, one of the posts can be a product review or “how to” (depends on your product category), another one – comparison with other similar products, etc.
- Write a newsletter where you can include this link.
- Keep developing new ways and strategies on how you can share this link with your followers who’ll be interested in the product. You can use social media, ad campaigns and other marketing tricks that work for your business the best!
METHOD #2 Online course creation
Online course creation is proven to be one of the most successful blog monetization methods ever. Why so? Because it actually takes time and plans to make it happen. But it’s really worth it!
Online courses are booming right now! More and more online entrepreneurs and teachers are offering their knowledge in the form of e-courses. And people do like them since it gives the option to learn about the field of their interest in kind of a short time for a decent price.
If you are ready to work on your course, make sure to check out Course Creation Lab!
How to monetize blog with online courses?
- Decide on the topic. First of all, you have to have all the necessary skills and experience to actually provide unique information about the topic. Unique not always stand for something no one else knows. Unique is also the kind of presenting and the system in place. For example, you can teach a subject that’s taught in hundreds of other courses but if you’ve added your personality and people are engaging with it – you’re the winner! Besides having skills and experience, you should choose the topic that your audience wants to learn more about! Do the research before starting!
- Create the content! Although this is just one of the steps on this list, it’s a biggie. To create a powerful course that you’ll be able to sell easily, it’s crucial to create great content. First, layout the plan. How many modules and how many lessons you’d like to have? Once you’ve made the decision, start writing it. Also, decide whether it’ll be written text only or also video/audio. Start out small and build it up later on!
- Choose the platform & publish your course. My absolute favorite for the past 5 years has been Teachable! You can also consider platforms like Podia or Kajabi.
- To sell your course, build your blog around its topic. Let people know your field of knowledge and make them interested in what else you could learn?
Pro tip: Usually it’s best to create several smaller, more in-depth courses about one topic instead of creating a huge and expensive course about everything. But, at the end of the day, it really depends on the topic and your perfect audience!
What if you don’t think you can pull this off?
Well, here’s the thing. If you don’t have the necessary knowledge or skills to create online courses, you can always start small and learn along the way. Make it like an experiment for yourself! Choose one simple topic, create a free online course, check the responses from people and keep growing your idea! Everything IS possible, some things just take more time.
METHOD #3 Products
This is the method works pretty simply if we look at the general picture: use your blog to attract the audience that’ll want to purchase the product you’re creating.
Don’t confuse this with Affiliate marketing! In this case, we’re talking about YOUR products. Yes, an online course is your product as well. But those can also be books, painted dishes or clothing you’re seeing yourself. It can literally be anything!
If you’re anything of a craft maker, this will be the best option for you! Do you already have the Etsy store and you’re looking forward to starting blogging? Perfect! Are you making crafts but don’t know how to sell? Start blogging!
If you decide to sell your products, you can use either WooCommerce plugin for your WordPress blog to make it happen or choose Shopify as a separate platform for your shop.
If you want to focus on digital products, for example, e-books or templates, make sure to check out Podia as your potential platform for this.
If you want to learn more about selling products on Etsy, make sure to join this free class: Building an Etsy Shop that Sells: Strategies for E-Commerce Success.
Suggestions for product related blogs:
- Create your blog related to the topic your perfect customer is interested in. Do some market research to find this out!
- Keep the button to your shop obvious at all times
- Share behind the scenes
- Cooperate with other creatives on your blog posts
- Provide value so that people would come back for more and be interested in what you’re doing
Related read: The best ideas for your first e-product
METHOD #4 Start freelancing!
Very often, being a freelancer feels absolutely non-related to being a blogger or when we talk about ways to earn income blogging. But why so?
Writing a blog can be an amazing way to get new clients since you’re showing your expertise in the field!
Besides that, content marketing (as in, blog writing) is a great way to attract the audience that’ll be interested in your help.
Being a freelancer is definitely one of the hardest yet most satisfying blog monetization methods. It takes a lot of time and a day-to-day effort to keep it up. It’s definitely the next level game! But if you’re up for monetizing your blog the best way possible, it’s definitely worth trying out.
I’ve written several blog posts about freelancing so I won’t repeat myself but here are several useful resources you can take a look at if you feel like freelancing could be your jam:
I hope you’ve found some ideas and at least one of these blog monetization methods have inspired you to either start blogging or earn income blogging.
Either way, always remember that it’s crucial to keep providing the value! It’s the only way how your blog can actually grow and your monetization methods can pay off.