You must have heard that building your own mailing list can be VERY valuable, as long as you have any kind of online business. And it’s very true! So this time, let’s compare Mailchimp, MailerLite, ConvertKit and Flodesk to answer the question – which email marketing platform to choose?!
If you want to start creating your own email list, it’s time to choose the best email marketing platform for your needs!
To be honest, I have love-hate relationships with all of them.
All of these email marketing software have their pros & cons, their specific features that might be useful for some while staying unused for others.
I’m here to just give you an honest overview of my experience with each one of them and maybe give you some idea on which email marketing platform to choose.
This post includes affiliate links.
Email marketing platform comparison
MailChimp was the first email marketing platform I’ve ever used and I was a long-term fan of them.
For years, it was also my main answer to the question of which email marketing platform to choose.
But along with the growth in my business, I started checking out other options and realized that they’re not the best in the market. Or just to be honest – not the best for me.
What do I love about MailChimp?
- They’re offering a free plan for up to 2500 subscribers
- They have a very user-friendly interface
- They have all kinds of various features
- Most of their cool features are available for the free plan
- They have great report & statistic system
What was I missing?
- I missed the simplicity! Although I was very familiar with the platform, it still took some time to get things going.
- I had no good options to add it to my WordPress. I tried out various plugins and add-ons but nothing was working properly.
ConvertKit was my next step after using MailChimp. I started using it because there are tons of great reviews of this platform from other online business owners. Besides, many of the “big players” use it as well. It sounded a lot like a jackpot for me!
What do I love about ConvertKit?
- The simplicity of their interface and systems!
- Their WordPress integration. It’s so easy to use! It lets you not only add signups for your blog posts but also add one general signup that’ll be showing at the end of ALL blog posts!
- The option to create landing pages.
- Simple and obvious analytics.
What am I missing?
- More budget-friendly plans! Since late 2019, they are offering a free plan for starters which is GREAT! But from there on, it gets quite pricey. Starting from $29/monthly for 1000 subs…
- Easier form editing. I HATE creating and editing forms on ConvertKit. It’s impossible to create a beautiful form without knowing the CSS.
To get started on ConvertKit, you’ll need to look into some guides. Their systems are quite complicated for the beginner. Besides that, make sure to not have too high expectations when it comes to the form design.
Since for me beautiful and SIMPLE form design is one of the most important parts of choosing the best email marketing platform, I’m skipping ConvertKit.
MailerLite was a lot like an experiment for me. I signed up for this platform since it had a free plan for up to 1000 and it was another popular word between online business owners. It’s very similar to MailChimp regarding the design and insides but its offer is slightly different.
Now, I’ve been on MailerLite for the past 2+ years and have found them to be the best sweet-spot.
What do I love about MailerLite?
- They’re offering all the most useful features.
- They have the option to build landing pages.
- Various opt-in form designs.
- Easy to use WordPress plugin (the one you see around this website).
What do I dislike about MailerLite?
- There are too many options to choose from – it can get confusing really fast!
Flodesk seems to be a newbie in the hood and, as far as I’ve heard, they’ve been created in 2018 or so.
I never used Flodesk for long-term but I did try their free 30-day offer.
The price is quite steep – it’s $38/monthly – BUT the mount of signups is unlimited and YOU CAN GET A LIFETIME DISCOUNT for $19.
Okay, hear me out. Bloggers are going BANANAS over Flodesk. As soon as you hop on any Facebook group to ask what email marketing platform to choose, suddenly everybody will be suggesting Flodesk…
I think Flodesk is the perfect platform for beginners. It doesn’t have anything extra, it’s simple and offers the most beautiful email designs ever. However, those who are seeking more complicated systems, might not be as excited…
What do I love about Flodesk?
- They have incredibly beautiful email designs.
- The platform is wonderful and easy to use.
- They have an amazing Facebook community where you can ask any kind of support and there’ll always be someone who can help.
What’s missing on Flodesk?
- You can’t attach your own subdomain to landing pages.
- There aren’t enough systems in place. You can create simple automatization but getting in the details or seeing insightful stats will be a hussle.
- They don’t have a WordPress plugin. Yet.
Which email marketing software to choose?!
If you have a very low budget…
Go for MailerLite! MailerLite is the cheapest option for the long-run. Their pricing is kind of low compared to the others. MailerLite has a free plan for up to 1000 subs while Mailchimp has a free plan for up to 2000 but MailerLite is cheaper afterward. ConvertKit is the most expensive player in the game. The cheapest plan is for $30/month.
If you want your email marketing to be the least of your worries…
Go for ConvertKit! Their user-interface is SUPER simple and as soon as you get familiar with the platform, you won’t spend any additional time to make things happen. Besides that, it’s minimalistic and you won’t get distracted by the things that don’t matter at the end of the day.
If you want to keep track of very specific statistics…
Go for MailChimp! Their report system is easy and fun to use. Besides that, they really offer all kinds of statistics that you can use.
If you’re not very picky regarding the design & style…
Go for MailerLite! They offer a simple way to build signup forms, pop-ups and landing pages but it’s not easy to customize it as much as someone might like. If you are up for some basic options and really don’t need much more than that – choose MailerLite.
If simple integration is your trigger…
Choose ConvertKit! That’s one of the main reasons why I’ve clicked with them. I LOVE their WordPress plugin. It’s simple yet (oh, finally!!) effective.
If you want email marketing to be EASY…
Choose Flodesk. With nothing extra on their platform, the form design and setup is super simple + the platform is really simple and easy to use.
At the end of the day, it really depends on your specific business needs when it comes to which email marketing platform to choose. What’s your favorite?!