You must have heard that building your own mailing list can be VERY valuable, as long as you have any kind of online business. And it’s very true! So this time, let’s compare Mailchimp, MailerLite & ConvertKit to answer the question – which email marketing software to choose?!
To be honest, I have love-hate relationships with all of them.
All of these email marketing software have their pros & cons, their specific features that might be useful for some while staying unused for others.
I’m here to just give you an honest overview of my experience with each one of them and maybe give you some idea on which email marketing software to choose.
This post includes affiliate links. They cost nothing to you but could provide me the very necessary caffeine boost for my next articles. Thank you!
Comparison of the most popular email marketing softwares
MailChimp was the first email marketing platform I’ve ever used and I was a long-term fan of them.
For years, it was also my main answer to the question which email marketing software to choose.
But along with the growth in my business, I started checking out other options and realized that they’re not the best in the market. Or just to be honest – not the best for me!
What do I love about MailChimp?
- They’re offering a free plan for up to 2500 subscribers
- They have a very user-friendly interface
- They have all kinds of various features
- Most of their cool features are available for the free plan
- They have great report & statistic system
What was I missing?
- I missed the simplicity! Although I was very familiar with the platform, it still took some time to get things going.
- I had no good options to add it to my WordPress. I tried out various plugins and add-ons but nothing was working properly.
ConvertKit was my next step after using MailChimp. I started using it because there are tons of great reviews of this platform from other online business owners. Besides, many of the “big players” use it as well. Sounded a lot like a jackpot for me!
What do I love about ConvertKit?
- The simplicity of their interface and systems!
- Their WordPress integration. It’s so easy to use! It lets you not only add signups for your blog posts but also add one general signup that’ll be showing at the end of ALL blog posts!
- The option to create landing pages.
What am I missing?
- More budget-friendly plans! Although $30/month for up to 1000 subscribers is not a fortune, it can get pricey really fast…
- An easier way to check out my Subscriber stats. Now, I can tag them and make segments but I can’t easily segment them by open rates, etc, which is a feature I love on Mailchimp!
I’m using ConvertKit myself right now and I’m rather satisfied with the platform. From all I have tried, this is so far my favorite. But it can be very confusing as well so if you decide to get started on ConvertKit, make sure to take it easy. As soon as you start creating more signup forms, more sequences and automation, it can get messy. Just stay on top of things!
MailerLite was a lot like an experiment for me. I signed up for this platform since it had a free plan for up to 1000 and it was another popular word between online business owners. It’s very similar to MailChimp regarding the design and insides but its offer is slightly different.
What do I love about MailerLite?
- They’re offering all the most useful features
- They have the option to build landing pages
- Unlimited monthly emails is one of the biggest pros for me
- Various opt-in form designs
- Easy to use WordPress plugin (the one you see around this website)
What do I dislike about MailerLite?
- After being on MailChimp for so long, it felt a lot like they’ve just copied each other…
- There are too many options to choose from – it can get confusing really fast!
Which email marketing software to choose?!
If you have a very low budget…
Go for MailerLite! MailerLite is the cheapest option for a long-run. Their pricing is kind of low compared to the others. MailerLite has a free plan for up to 1000 subs while Mailchimp has a free plan for up to 2000 but MailerLite is cheaper afterward. ConvertKit is the most expensive player in the game. The cheapest plan is for $30/month.
If you want your email marketing to be the least of your worries…
Go for ConvertKit! Their user-interface is SUPER simple and as soon as you get familiar with the platform, you won’t spend any additional time to make things happen. Besides that, it’s minimalistic and you won’t get distracted by the things that don’t matter at the end of the day.
If you want to keep track of very specific statistics…
Go for MailChimp! Their report system is easy and fun to use. Besides that, they really offer all kinds of statistics that you can use.
If you’re not very picky regarding the design & style…
Go for MailerLite! They offer a simple way to build signup forms, pop-ups and landing pages but it’s not easy to customize it as much as someone might like. If you are up for some basic options and really don’t need much more than that – choose MailerLite.
If simple integration is your trigger…
Choose ConvertKit! That’s one of the main reasons why I’ve clicked with them. I LOVE their WordPress plugin. It’s simple yet (oh, finally!!) effective.
At the end of the day, it really depends on your specific business needs when it comes to which email marketing software to choose.