These days rarely anyone blogs just because of pure fun (which is a pity). Most people start their blog with some monetizing options on their minds, some – find this path later on the road. This helpful beginner’s guide to monetizing a blog will give you all the must-know insights into making money with a blog.
In this post you’ll learn:
- What should you keep in mind before monetizing a blog
- Steps to take before you get started
- Blog monetization methods
What should you keep in mind before monetizing a blog
MUST-REMEMBER #1: It’s hard work
Monetizing a blog is not about putting links in your blog posts. It’s not about selling only one product for years. And it’s not about easy money in general. Not-at-all.
Blog monetizing is hard work and you have to prepare yourself for it. If you don’t feel like your blog is worth it OR that you can take your blog seriously yourself first, then it’s a lost cause.
You have to see your blog as part of your job (even if it’s not actually your job). Here are some ideas to make it easier for you:
- Schedule daily time for blog maintenance;
- Create a blog post schedule and follow it;
- Provide creative and interesting content with value;
- Be ready to stay up nights and wake on early mornings to make this happen;
- Read more tips on how to take your blog more seriously.
MUST-REMEMBER #2 You’ll have to create content
BOOOOOOM! This came as a surprise, didn’t it?
Yes, I know, content creation might seem like the most fun part of this whole journey but the fact is – it’s not always like that.
Remember that you have to provide engaging content that your audience is interested in. Very often this means ditching very personal and self-centered blog posts and investing time in research to provide more value.
When you’re monetizing a blog, you need to create focused, high-quality content.
It doesn’t matter what is your niche, your content has to be useful.
- Quality over quantity! It’s always better to blog less but better.
- Don’t create posts that are 200-500 words long. This means that your readers haven’t even sipped the first coffee before the post is already over. Valuable blog content consists of 1000-2000 words, on average. Google + SEO rankings love posts that are 2000+ words but there’s no need to drive yourself crazy every time you write a post.
- Keep in mind your audience. Instead of writing “I tried this out, I loved it and it helps me to be happier” you should write “I tried this out, I bet, you would love it and it can definitely help you to be happier!”.
- Content is not all about blog posts only. Do you have anything additional on your blog/website? Make sure that these pages get their updates!
MUST-REMEMBER #3 You’ll be the idea generator – and most often the only one
When monetizing your blog, you have to be like an idea creation machine, just popping them out all the time. You’ll be the one who’ll search for partners, create products, write blog posts, update photos and constantly work for more and better.
It seems fun at first but be aware of the possible burnout! Make sure you have some systems in place regarding how your process goes.
Make sure to read more about how to avoid burnout as a new business owner.
Steps to take before you start monetizing a blog
STEP #1: Set up a domain name and a self-hosted website
Having a domain name means that you’re paying for a domain “www.nameofyourwebsite.com“.
Having a self-hosted website, on the other hand, means that you have a paid website hosting.
Most monetizing options are available for self-hosted website owners only. It doesn’t mean that there’s nothing you can do about your blog if you’re not willing to buy a domain name or hosting but remember that original websites are more popular and can get bigger traffic than blogs like nameofyourblog.wordpress.com.
Here’s a simple guide on how to get started:
- Purchase a hosting. Either Siteground or any other option.
- Get a domain name. Usually, it can be purchased along with the hosting but you can also have a domain name purchased beforehand on any other platform.
- Then, set up your WordPress website. It’s a one-click WordPress installation. Learn more in Blog Creation Simplified.
STEP #2 Come up with a blog monetization plan
Although you might not be sure of how to make all of this happen right away, it’s important to come up with a plan to follow when working for your first blogging income.
Here are some things to consider:
- Decide on which blog monetization method you will focus and make sure to start out with very mindful efforts to make it happen. For example, if it’s going to be affiliate marketing, instead of joining tens of affiliate marketing programs, choose 3 your audience will be interested in the most.
- Write a content plan that’ll support your chosen blog monetization method. For example, plan to write blog posts on your chosen affiliate programs.
- Make sure to spot your perfect audience and understand what will be the easiest ways to reach them. In this case, you can consider various social media as well as other digital marketing features to attract them, for example, email marketing, online webinars, etc.
Blog monetization methods for bloggers
While there really are tons of different ways to monetize a blog, there are also several very popular methods. I’ve told the full story on how I started monetizing my own blog here but now, let’s review just some of the most popular blog monetization methods:
Ads can be a good monetization method if you have a consistent and growing traffic. Here we’re looking at the same old 10K per month (at least) to start getting some decent revenue. This is not the best fit for new bloggers but is a common practice for those with big traffic.
Affiliate marketing is my favorite choice when it comes to new blog monetization because revenue from affiliate marketing doesn’t depend on the traffic but rather – conversions you create by providing relevant suggestions. I started getting my first affiliate income with around 100 daily readers.
From all, this method definitely requests most of your own time and knowledge. Digital product selling means coming up with a product like an e-book or online course and making successful sales. Make sure to read a post on which e-product choose as your first! Platforms like Podia make it extremely easy to get started.
Read a full guide to blog monetization methods.
Before you go…
The most important thing to keep in mind before you start working on a blog you want to monetize is to follow your passion! Unless you’ll have a real interest in the topic and a true willingness to share your experience, knowledge and dig deep into the topic, you won’t be able to make any sales on your blog.