I’ve been into online course creation for already more than two years and I’ve gone through all kinds of trends. Right now, I’m helping online entrepreneurs to set up their courses and this has given me yet another great chance to compare the differences between Teachable & Thinkific!
While online courses are growing rapidly, there are more and more new players getting into the game. For my client work and my own business, I have tried platforms like Teachable, Thinkific, Udemy, CourseCats, CourseCrafts, New Kajabi and others. But, at the end of the day, two of the most well-known course creation platforms for online business owners are Teachable & Thinkific.
A quick disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links. By purchasing a service or product through my offered link, I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for keeping this blog alive! 🙂
Last updated: October 2018
Very often people say that both platforms are really similar and, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter which one you choose.
While it’s very true that the differences between Teachable & Thinkific sometimes are not as noticeable or have as big of the impact on your course, it’s still important to consider both options and understand which one will work the best for your business.
And it’s also one of the most important lessons I learned while creating my first online course: your chosen platform matters!
Therefore, let’s review them both.
Both of these online course platforms offer a rather simple system. But here’s the main difference:
- In Thinkific, the overall interface of the system is a bit more complicated so it might take a while more to figure out how to get things started.
- At the same time, Teachable offers a simple layout that easily indicates where all of the necessary parts are located which makes starting out easy even for those who have no idea what the hell they’re doing!
- In Teachable, you have obvious and simple drag & drop interface where you can add PDFs, photos, videos or choose to add Text or Quiz as part of your content. Teachable has a rather limited type of content you can add but usually, it all works just fine and more options are not necessary.
- In Thinkific, to upload the content you have to choose the type of it before doing the actual adding. This requests a bit more of the work if you plan to add a various type of content for one lesson. The pro is that Thinkific offers more content variations, including exam and presentation which are not available on Teachable.
- support videos and have HD quality available
- have bulk upload possible
- offer free preview & downloadable PDF upload
SALES PAGE BUILDER
The style of the Sales page is the main reason why I’ve chosen Teachable as my favorite online course creation platform. As many times as I have created Sales pages on Thinkific, they turn out to be either too simple or it’s too hard to make them look really professional.
Here are the differences between Teachable & Thinkific Sales page setups:
- Teachable has one style of the Sales page available but you can easily adjust it to your branding and make it work for your business. You have the option to add customized banners, use specific colors, change text style and color. It’s really easy and simple to use both for starters and professionals! Cons: sometimes, all of the Teachable sales pages really feel “all the same”. But it’s obviously working! Besides that, if you’re into development, you can always add some more interesting features with code.
- Thinkific has several style options but they are hard to customize in a manner that looks good. Some of the features are too complicated to figure out for starters. Their Sales pages also don’t have as good conversion rates as Teachable.
Since Sales page is one of the most important assets of a successful course, I suggest going with Teachable even if this is the only reason you’d do so. It’ll pay off!
Both of them are rather bad with other Sales page integration. For example, LeadPages. In this case, it’s not a matter of “one-click”. The integration is a bit more complicated process and you should understand what you’re doing to make it happen.
Both Teachable & Thinkific offer a free plan.
The only difference is that you don’t see Teachable’s free plan on their pricing list 🙂 Other than that, on both platforms, the free pricing plan gives you the option to:
- Build & upload your course
- Create your Sales page
- Sell your course and enroll new students
So why should you care about the updated plans!?
Here’s what plan upgrades give you:
- Custom domain name
- Drip content
- Faster payment
- Lower transaction free
- Course bundles
Would you need it as a starter? No! I mean, it’s totally possible to build and sell a course on the free plan. There’s no need to upgrade to get students or money. But some of the upgraded plan features are nice to have eventually!
Which course creation platform is cheaper?
Teachable. With Basic upgrade for $39.
Both of them can be used with PayPal and Stripe.
Teachable has the payment fees for the free courses while Thinkific has recently eliminated them (stepping up their game big time!).
On both platforms, it is equally easy to set up a payment getaway and make sure it’s all working flawlessly.
How to choose the best online course platform for your business?
I’ve been on Teachable for 2 years and I truly love their platform.
Their user interface is way more fun than Thinkific and I find them to be very supportive regarding any problems or issues. They’re always improving and updating their system and notifying you of the changes. Oh, besides that, they have free fun webinars and live FB videos!
You can learn more about why and how to create a free course on Teachable.
To sum it up, while you have all the freedom to choose whichever online course creation platform you want to choose, my vote goes for Teachable.