There are several reasons why people wouldn’t want to hang out on your website. Let’s take a look at them and understand how can you make better user experience and be sure that your visitors will come back for more!
When we’re thinking about successful websites, it is important not only to attract but also to make your potential client come back and keep them on your website as long as possible. That’s something that can be done with better user experience: more mindful, intuitive and well-designed website.
There are various ways to build better user experience in your website, whether it’s a blog, portfolio site, product shop or anything else.
So here are some of the things to keep in mind!
Things to stay away from on your website for better user experience:
Instead of thinking in terms of what you can do for your user interface, there are several things you definitely SHOULD NOT do it you’re looking forward to getting more website visitors and make them stay for longer.
Here’s the list of them:
TIP #1: Reduce the number of ads
- If someone has just arrived on your website and this person can’t find where the text starts because of the ads – you have way too many of them.
- If you have more than one pop-up window or it’s popping up on each and every page, each and every day – you have way too many of them.
- If on your sidebar you’ve got nothing but ads, you guessed that right – you have way too many of them.
We all are super annoyed by ads, that’s just the way we are. I most likely will leave a website right that minute if I’ll see that it’s a money-making machine and literally asks PRESS HERE, GIVE ME 2 CENTS!
Keep in mind:
- Ads shouldn’t be the first thing your visitor sees;
- Don’t get too much into pop-up ads and always make sure that it’s easy to close them;
- Avoid ads that are taking up bigger space than your content;
Running ads is not a bad thing to do on a website or blog but you have to be mindful of your user experience. It is better to have one ad and make that person come back for 5 more times than to have 5 ads & make him leave immediately.Running ads is not a bad thing to do on a website but you have to be mindful of your user experience. Click To Tweet
TIP #2: Be aware of your design choices
For me, as a designer, this point is crucial. But not only designers care!! Even Google AdSense has stated – if you want to be able to run ads on your blog, not only your content has to be good but also your design has to look fine.
What counts as a “bad design”?
- Lack of responsive website design – your site is not working well on various screens;
- Too many crazy colors in one place. For example, bright, luminescent colors that make your eyes hurt;
- Pattern overuse;
- Unbalanced design elements;
- Too big header spots or other inadequate size elements;
- Too thin and light fonts;
- Too bold and big fonts.
The most important thing to remember when coming up with website design is to create it welcoming and friendly. Would you like to stay on a website that looks like yours?
Complex navigation can be the worst part of the website and a real deal-breaker while you’re trying to create a better user experience.
If it is hard to get around, hard to find things and understand where the most necessary information lies or even worse – won’t be able to find what you’re looking for – then you can be sure that your visitor won’t stick around.
Things to keep in mind:
- Don’t use misleading photos or banners;
- Make the next step clear and understandable (For example: “If you want to buy, click here”, “Click here to read more”, etc.);
- Don’t scatter your main navigation links around your website;
- Keep in mind continuity (For example, don’t put “Welcome!” banner after your latest blog posts);
- Provide easy to understand navigation names.
Whenever you are creating the idea of your navigation, don’t try to come up with something new and very extraordinary. People like to understand things quickly and navigate easily!
TIP #4: Improve your content structure
Whatever your website is all about, you should create informative and logical content and provide some easy to understand structure for all that. If the information is scattered and your reader can’t read it easily, it will be impossible to make him stay!
- Create too many pages for what could be written in one;
- Miss introduction text about what this website is all about;
- Provide older content first;
- Make your visitors confused with completely unrelated information;
As many as 60% of sales can be lost because visitors can’t find what they’re searching for. Don’t make this mistake and group your content logically.As many as 60% of sales can be lost because visitors can't find what they're searching for. Click To Tweet
TIP #5: Be mindful about your video and audio effects
People do not like auto-play things. They like control!
If your website has to have video and audio, make sure that it’s easy to control them for whoever is visiting your website. OR if anything plays automatically, people shouldn’t be interrupted by that.
Think about using images instead, where applicable. They load faster and using well-designed visuals is a great way to boost the uniqueness of your website and make your site visitors to remember you. It can also improve shares of your content!
Keep in mind:
- Not to use autoplay videos;
- Not to use background sounds;
- Avoid any surprising noises;
Give your users an option to see and listen to your content, but don’t push them to do that!
TIP #6: Improve your content
Yes! That’s a thing to keep in mind for better user experience: if you’re not providing interesting and useful content for your audience, most likely they will leave your website within a blink of an eye.
But this is the topic where you should pay specific attention to that audience part. If your audience is leaving because of the content, is your content the one to blame or your audience? Maybe you should change your target audience and talk with other people? If the content is one to blame, reconsider your blogging strategies and your topics.
If you are willing to get attention, drive leads and get more readers, it is important to write about what they might be interested in, not only what you like!
If you manage to create a better user experience for your website